How to apply
Apply in one of these ways:
- Apply online at commonhelp.virginia.gov.
- Call the Cover Virginia Call Center Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590).
- Apply online at the Health Insurance Marketplace at healthcare.gov.
- Mail or drop off a paper application to your local Department of Social Services (DSS) ([PDF] English application [PDF] Spanish application). Mailing may take longer than other ways of applying. To find your local DSS, go to dss.virginia.gov/localagency.
- If you also want to apply for other benefits, you can apply online at commonhelp.virginia.gov. Or call the Virginia Department of Social Services Enterprise Call Center at 1-855-635-4370.
When you apply, you will need this information:
- Full legal name
- Date of birth
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for any legal immigrants who need insurance)
- Employer and income information for everyone in your family (for example, from paystubs, W-2 forms, or wage and tax statements)
- Note: If self-employed, read [PDF] Self-employment Expenses Information.
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any job-related health insurance available to your family
If you need help with your application, find an Application Assister.
How to send information we ask for
We will send you a letter if we need more information. You can send your information to Virginia Medicaid in one of these ways:
You can scan and upload, attach electronic copies, or take a photo of your information and attach it to the email. To keep your information secure, this email address only receives information. You will not get a reply.
- Mail: Use the address on the letter we send asking for information.
- Fax: 1-888-221-9402
For questions, call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282.
Applying for more than two people
You may need to print more pages if you are applying for Medicaid, FAMIS or Plan First for more than two people in your household. Use the Additional Person Single Page Supplement. You cannot use this application by itself. You must also complete the Application for Health Coverage & Help Paying Costs. Then submit the Additional Person Single Page Supplement with your application.
Applying for Medicaid for adults over age 19 with disabilities, or who are 65 or older, or for anyone who needs long-term care
You must complete the ABD-LTC Application – Appendix D and the Application for Health Coverage & Help Paying Costs.
Applying for the medically needy
Complete Medically Needy Spenddown – Appendix E if you applied for health care coverage for someone who is medically needy, but has income greater than the Medicaid limit and wants to be evaluated for a spenddown based on income, resources, and medical expenses. Spenddown works like an insurance policy deductible. The amount of the “deductible” is called the “spenddown liability.” Once medical bills are equal to or greater than the spenddown liability, the application will be re-evaluated for Medicaid eligibility.
Applying for persons with special needs
Complete Nursing or Community Based Care – Appendix F if you applied for health care coverage for someone who needs help with everyday things like bathing, dressing, walking or using the bathroom to live safely in the home. Also complete Appendix F if a doctor or nurse has told the person applying that they have a physical disability, chronic (long-term) disease, mental or emotional illness, or addiction disorder.
To learn more about how to appeal a decision, go to Appeals.
Federal Health Insurance Marketplace
A Special Enrollment Period started February 15, 2021 and continues through May 15, 2021. All Marketplace consumers may submit a new application or update an existing application during this period.
Download Acrobat Reader.